A shortened extension cord was determined as the cause for a fire that occurred shortly after 8:00am today. Fort Dodge Fire Crews were dispatched to 223 L St at 8:06am and found flames shooting outside the home when they arrived. Captain Paul Neeson says the homeowner, Joe Mrozek, was home at the time and escaped with non life-threatening injuries. He was transported to Trinity Regional Medical Center. In addition, Neeson says the home suffered significant damage and was deemed to be a total loss. The Red Cross has been contacted and is assisting the homeowner.