Supervisors Approve Increase to Animal Control Officer Contract
After some discussion, the Webster County Board of Supervisors approved a three percent increase for the Animal Control Officer's contract. Board president Bob Singer explained Tuesday that Animal Control Officer Blaine Hepp is an independent contractor who provides services to both the county and the city. The City of Fort Dodge covers 75 percent of his contract while the county picks up the remaining 25 percent. While the board unanimously approved the increase, they did express concern over the process of how the increase was proposed. According to Singer, the county was not notified by the city of the increase when preparing its budget:
Between the county and the city, Hepp earns around $60,000. About 85 percent of his animal control calls are in the city.