A Dozen Candidates To Interview For Iowa Supreme Court Opening
A total of 12 candidates will be interviewed for the opening on the Iowa Supreme Court. The opening comes after Chief Justic Mark Cady of Fort Dodge passed away in Novemeber from a suddent heart attack. Cady had served on the high court for 21 years. On January 9th the State Judicial Commission will interview the 12 applicants for the position. On January 9, the State Judicial Nominating Commission will interview the 12 applicants for the opening. The commission will narrow the field to three and Governor Kim Reynolds will then pick the court’s next justice from that short list of finalists.
Justice David Wiggins was named acting-Chief Justice until a replacement is named. Once that happens, the seven justices will pick their next Chief Justice.Out of the 12 applicants, seven of them are from Central Iowa. Below is a list of the candidates and a schedule of what times they will interview on January 9th.
- 9:00 a.m. Craig Nierman, Attorney, Phelan, Tucker, Mullen, Walker, Tucker & Gelman, L.L.P., Iowa City
- 9:20 a.m. Lisa Reel Schmidt, Assistant Attorney General, Iowa Attorney General’s Office, Des Moines
- 9:40 a.m. Theresa Wilson, Assistant Appellate Defender, Office of the State Appellate Defender, Des Moines
- 10:00 a.m. Dana Oxley, Attorney, Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, PLC, Cedar Rapids
- 10:20 a.m. Mary Chicchelly, District Court Judge, Sixth Judicial District, Cedar Rapids
- 11:00 a.m. Matthew McDermott, Attorney, Belin McCormick, P.C., Des Moines
- 11:20 a.m. Alan Ostergren, Muscatine County Attorney, Letts
- 11:40 am. William Miller, Attorney, Dorsey & Whitney LLP, Des Moines
- 12:40 p.m. Joel Barrows, District Court Judge, Seventh Judicial District, Bettendorf
- 1:00 p.m. David May, Iowa Court of Appeals, Polk City
- 1:20 p.m. Timothy Gartin, Attorney, Hastings, Gartin & Boettger, LLP, Ames
- 1:40 p.m. Romonda Belcher, District Associate Judge, 5th Judicial District, Des Moines