Time of day and a little luck may have prevented a fire on Christmas Day from causing loss of life and substantial damage to a six-unit apartment in Fort Dodge.
The fire at 1204 6th Ave North started in the afternoon in the basement and according to Fort Dodge Fire Chief, Steve Hergenreiter, it was an electrical fire.
Chief Hergenreiter says it was the quick action of the people living in apartment one and the fact that a fire truck was on a call just down the street that may have prevented a much worse outcome.
No one was injured and no pets were harmed. One of the building’s owners told Alpha Media that the tenants have been displaced temporarily, but are being helped by the American Red Cross and are hopeful to have them back in their apartments soon.
The 6 unit building is owned by L and S Rentals LLC who just bought it last month.