Below is the statement released by Unity Point Health- Fort Dodge regarding increased visitor restrictions that go into effect as of 3 Pm on March 18th.
UnityPoint Health – Fort Dodge is further restricting hospital visitors, due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus), in order to protect patients, staff, visitors and the community.
Starting at 3 p.m. March 18, 2020, all routine visiting at the hospital will be suspended until the transmission of COVID-19 is no longer a threat to our patients, staff and community.
The decision to restrict visitors was difficult and made only after careful consideration as we witness schools, churches and other venues restrict gatherings to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
We recognize that there are times when having a visitor or family member present is crucial. In these cases, visitors will be allowed based on the exceptions listed below.
Please note in all cases a visitor will only be allowed if they do not have symptoms of respiratory infection (fever, runny nose, cough, shortness of breath). Additionally, children under the age of 18 will not be allowed except under extraordinary circumstances.
- Obstetric patients may have one partner or birth support person accompany them.
- Nursery may have one birth parent plus one significant other who must remain in the room for the duration of the visit.
- Exceptions will be made for patients who are end-of-life at the discretion of patient’s health care team.
- Patients with disruptive behavior, where a family member is key to their care, may have one visitor.
- Patients who have altered mental status or developmental delays, where caregiver provides safety, may have one visitor.
- Minors under the age of 18 may have one visitor, parent, or guardian.
- Patients undergoing surgery or procedures may have one visitor who must leave the hospital as soon as possible after the procedure/surgery.
- Patients who have an appointment at a hospital-based clinic, laboratory, or radiology, as well as those visiting the Emergency Room (ER), may have one person with them.
Visitors allowed must stay in the patient’s room the entire time of the visit. Once the visitor leaves the patient room, they must leave the hospital.
Please note that visitors will not be allowed for patients with a pending or positive COVID-19 test.
We appreciate your understanding during these uncertain times. Our goal is to protect our patients, staff and the community. For more info on restrictions go to www.unitypoint.org